Saturday, August 14, 2010

23!

Birthdays in Zambia are the best ever because basically you just dance all night long. My birthday was simple and nonchalant until about 8:00 at night, or as they say here 20 hours. It began with a heavy dosage of shima, a tipical local meal of cornmeal cooked, balled up, and then dipped into sauces filled with vegetable, meat, etc. absolutely delicious and the best part is that you get to use your hands as utensils. hooray for finger food! Then the dancing began...as I've mentioned before Zambians can dance, and when they dance all I can do is stare because my body has never nor will ever move in that way. So me, the white girl (muzungu), attempted to dance and had the time of my life. I hope that by the end of my stint here I will pick up a few dance moves.

So I had a wonderful birthday, still love Zambia, cannot believe that I am here, have the best group of interns around me I could ever ask for, and I start in on my first tasks on monday. Life is sweet.

Just to fill in the lines-I'm going to be focusing on working with the programme coordinators for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees project that Grassroot Soccer does. I'll be traveling once a month to a refugee settlement called Meheba in the northern part of the country. I will also be working with more urban refugees organizing the implementation of curriculum, helping train coaches in the improvements of the curriculum, and organizing the testing and counseling events that we host.

That is all for now- keep in touch everyone. much love.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the birthday was GRAND! We thought of you coming into our lives 24 years ago and have been blessed ever since. Hope the weekend was as good as the birthday. We will be thinking of you this coming week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought of you on your day of birth. Youre a keeper. Keep dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALICE! I'm so excited that your birthday was fun and you're loving Zambia! I just got internet in my house so now I can now officially stalk you...yay!

    ReplyDelete