Thursday, September 2, 2010

honeymoon is over

good morning!

Our dog has taken to barking non-stop from about 6:30 till whenever I get up in the morning and then the cat starts in- an ensemble that compels me to get out of bed early in the morning. I have to admit that I rather enjoy Lusaka early in the morning. The colors are cool until the sun reaches the right angle with a mass of yellow and red. Beautiful.

This morning I am having my first cup of coffee in some time. I resisted purchasing coffee because of the price but I think there are just some things in life that are routine and comforting-coffee being a big one for me. I've decided I'm never traveling anywhere without some sort of French Press ever again.

Zambia is still Zambia, spent the past week and beginning of this week in a workshop based on training coaches. I should probably explain a bit more about the curriculum (which everyone here pronounces culiculum-Zambians mix up there r's and l's in English and in Nianja). Basically Grassroot Soccer is a prevention program but what they have found is that youth are more inclined to change behavior based on a role-model or caring adults influence. Makes sense right? So the positive is that the knowledge and awareness about HIV is very high, myths still exist-there are billboards echoing the rumors that sleeping with a virgin will cure AIDS, and a child proclaiming that someone with AIDS has the power to bewitch you, but in general the communities are aware of the epidemic and it's relationship to sex. The things that they aren't as aware of are the cultural norms that promote HIVs spread. For example multiple concurrent partners and intergenerational sex. Older men with younger women and having more than one partner at the same time-fascinating stuff. So we have been trying to come up with a way to train our coaches as facilitators, leaders, role models. I love love love this stuff! The curriculum is just that, education and facilitation, seems simple but there is so much to it. More will come...don't want to bore you just yet.

We are getting ready for some big events, settling in, and I am getting to know everyone in my house and the workplace much much better. Incredible people who I will introduce you all to-perhaps in my next blog.

For now just busy learning the lay of the land, the terminology, and trying to find another little niche to use as a project. And learning Nianja- amazingly humorous language! Weather is warm...settling into the hot season, but evenings and nights are still cool. Stars are beautiful and I know none of them by name. Time for work this morning. Will chat soon. peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment